Re: halogenated hydrocarbons

To: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: halogenated hydrocarbons
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:38:26 -0800 (PST)
Perc (Perchlorethylene etc.) are chlorinated (Chlorine is a halogen as is
Bromine, Fluorine, and Iodine) hydrocarbons. Also, Chlordane
and DDT are chlorinated hydrocarbons as are a large number of industrially
important compounds. Many of these compounds are excellent solvents for
oils and waxes so that they are used to clean parts. However, halogenated
hydrocarbons are not very "biodegradable" so they can have deliterious
environmental effects.

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521