Re: HC vs. LC

To: "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: HC vs. LC
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:18:33 -0800
Increased compression equals more horsepower.

The only thing to watch out for is whether your cylinder head has been
excessively milled over the years. During a valve job, the machine shop
always mills the head flat and some owners specify taking off more material
to raise the compression ratio. When real 100-octane gas was available, that
was an acceptable way to get more power out of an engine.

Now, 9 to 1 compression (about 160 ft.lbs. cranking with the throttle held
open) is about as high as you should go with 92-octane gas. If your engine
is significantly lower than that, fitting high compression pistons will
definitely help the engine make more power.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center