RE: Lucas alternator

To: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas alternator
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:51:41 -0800
Elizabeth:

        Part of the problems we face are that the manufactures of
replacement parts do not have a tremendous profit incentive to keep
original type components available.  Instead they will attempt to reduce
the number of replacement parts on the shelf by merging similar designs.
Often newer designs are more efficient but may not be direct bolt in
replacements.  The changes are usually noted in trade journals only.
There is to date no manner of distributing this type of information to
the retail public.  Most of the time the salespeople selling the
components have no idea of the changes that affect installation.  Part
of what I try to do, is to catch these problems and find ways to reduce
the impact of these changes.

        Yes.  When changes are made, one would really like to know the
reasons why and how.  Unfortunately communication still is not one of
the strong suites in this business.  However e-mail is radically
changing the face of all industries.

Kelvin.