Brake and Axle soiree on '74 B.

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake and Axle soiree on '74 B.
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:46:25 -0500
I wonder if any of you can help me with this mystery?

I have a '74 B (with rostyles).  I started to get a little squealing out of
my rear brakes, so I pulled the wheels off to have a look.  The edge of the
drum which faces the backing plate has been rubbed shiny - and there's a
shiny stripe on the lowest arc of the backing plate to match.  Uh oh, says I
to myself - end play in the axle?  So I put the wheel back on and start
pushing and pulling - up, down, left, right, in, out, repeat and repeat
again... and no play that I can find.

I know I'm due to replace the thrust washers in my differential, but I can't
think that would cause the left axle to change position, would it?

Anyone got a bright idea why my brake drum would start to contact the
backing plate?  I've put about 6000 miles on this car and this is the first
time this has turned up.

As always, thanks.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - Still driving with the top down in sunny North Carolina.