Battery rack size--mga

To: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Subject: Battery rack size--mga
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:24:17 -0800
A PO of my MGA replaced the 2 x 6V batteries with one group 24 battery.
This is far from being a small battery. One of the terminals is a few
inches under the panel and a little dificult to get at. The battery rack
has been extended towards the rear of the car by several inches.

The other interesting question is: how do you get such a big battery into
the space? Well on my car, one of the brackets that supports the battery
rack (that goes from the chassis tube to mid-way along the elongated rack)
can be unbolted and removed. This allows the battery to be rotated and
brought out sideways.

In order to rotate the battery, I discovered that I have to put one corner
of the battery down in the middle for the battery rack. This was not too
obvious on removing the battery, but I discovered it easily on replacing
the battery.

When my battery failed and I could not remove it, I was beginning to think
the PO had fitted the battery before replacing the body! Eventually, I
forced it out, tipping it on end and then squeezing it between the chassis
tube and the back of the opening. I then went to put the new battery in and
discovered the easy way (rotating it).

Simon
---
Simon Matthews                          MailTo:simon_matthews@avanticorp.com