Re: Steering Wheel choice

To: eric@erickson.on.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel choice
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:14:50 EST
In a message dated 12/21/98 6:27:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
eric@erickson.on.net writes:

> I am also leaning toward the black leather (and maybe even black spokes
>  rather than chrome) because I feel that sweaty palms in our heatwave
>  conditions here might find the polished wood a little slippery - has
>  anyone any comment on this?

Don't forget that the black leather will get hot.  Black spokes ditto.  If you
really want wood and are worried about sweat then get a pair of driving
gloves.

>  Finally, all the wheels I see advertsised (generic/popular brands) have
>  a dramatically different mounting bush to the single "nut behind the
>  wheel/hub" that I believe my car has.  Do I have to hunt down a wheel
>  that fits similarly or are there mountin/conversion "kits" that do the
>  job?

Just about every car has a different method of mounting the steering wheel.
Well, maybe method is quite the right word, but every car has a different
steering shaft size, number of splines, depth, etc.  So the steering wheel
maker make a hub mounting kit to adapt each particular car to their wheel.  In
my experience every wheel from a given maker will use the same mounting to the
hub kit, however a wheel from maker A will not mount to a hub from maker B.
This way if you buy a steering wheel, and hub to fit your MGB and later decide
to move the wheel to your Rolls Canhardly all that would be required would be
a new hub to fit the Rolls.
Hope this helps

Rick Ewald
67 B roadster