Master cylinder

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Master cylinder
From: "BIDGOOD, ALAN" <BIDGOODA@pab27b.ssd.loral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:19:00 -0800
Hi all,

Well, I got all my interior done, fresh carpet etc. - looked pretty
good, all electrical issues sorted out etc.  I was feeling good,
went out for a quick run, and when I got back I saw something
glistening on my new driver's side carpet.  Turned out to be
brake fluid.  Further investigation revealed that indeed the master
cylinder had developed a leak from the piston area, which over
time had finally escaped the rubber boot.  I cleaned everything up,
but there is a small leak, which will have to be fixed.

 - will it ever end !!!!!

My question is has anybody ever replaced all the rummer parts in
the master cylinder without actually removing it from the car?  It
seems that the job will be greatly reduced if this could be done.

I know I am taking a chance that the bore may need rework, but
assuming that I only need the repair kit replacemnet parts.

I have a 1973 BGT, dual line non-servo system.

Thanks very any help or suggestions.

Alan B.'