75 MGB gas smell

Subject: 75 MGB gas smell
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:54:41 -0600
Just recently, I started getting a strong gas smell from the engine
compartment of my '75 MGB. (I'm almost certain that it's the carb based on
that's where the smell seems to be coming from and the car got very hard to
start and doesn't run well when cold, corresponding to the gas smell
starting). So, I think I need to rebuild the ol' Zenith-Stromberg carb. The
question are:

Should I look for something else that could cause the problem?

Is the description in the Haynes Manual adequate to do the job with a
rebuild kit?

As an alternative: Does anyone sell a "kit" to convert my engine to dual
SUs? The reason I'm interested in the kit, is I don't have the time to
search for all of the little parts I'll need to do a factory looking job and
I'd rather pay someone else to do that, or, is the list of parts short
enough that I can just buy them from Moss or something? I do know that I'll
have to go with a header or old style exhaust manifold for this route.

-----
John Steczkowski
Director of Software Engineering
Crossroads Systems, Inc.