Pistons

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pistons
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:45:21 EST
<< I want to get about9.5:1 compression (or a tad less) and
am wondering about which pistons to use. Does anyone make a flat top piston
and will it work without allowing for the valves clearances in the pistons?
Do I even need to go with flat top pistons or would the 9:1 pistons get me
close if I shave the head a little?  I hear people talk about flat top pistons
but haven't seen them
for sale anywhere.  Where might one buy some?Thanks for the time in answering,
Gregg Baker>>

Don't shave the head if you can help it as you will throw the valve geometry
off and enhance the possibility of early guide wear.
Depending on what you want to pay for pistons, many companies will make them
up for you. Jahns, for instance, while a little on the heavy side in their
cast line, are perfectly adequate for the street, and they can do a set of
flat top pistons at reasonable price.

Bill S.