Re: Fw: Re; Cold weather starting

To: danray@bluegrass.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fw: Re; Cold weather starting
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:10:37 EST
In a message dated 12/30/98 2:41:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
danray@bluegrass.net writes:

> Thanks to everyone for all of the input on starting in below freezing
>  weather. It's obvious to me that I was doing it all wrong. Usually I pull
>  the choke out, crank it while giving the pedal a few pumps and Vroom. I'll
>  try it again tomorrow -- correctly this time, and see what happens.
>  It could be that my choke is less than optimum, and my valves probably need
>  adjusting. The plugs, points and condensor are all new though.
>  Dan
>  73 B

After all the posts that said "don't dare touch the gas pedal or it will never
ever start in cold weather" (or words to that effect).
I gotta ask: What difference does it make if you pump the throttle on an SU or
ZF carb?  Neither of these carbs have accelerator pumps that would cause
flooding on a Weber, Holly, or a whatever if the choke is pulled all the way
out and the air flow is cut off.
As near as I can figure it might make the mixture go momentarily lean as more
air is admitted into the cylinder.
Dan as far as your problem goes I would suggest that you go back to the
basics.
1.  Double check the points, and plugs
2.  Double check for vacuum leaks, remember when the temp goes down different
materials contract at different rates and you could have a leak at 25 degrees
that isn't apparent at 70.
3.  Verify the mixture setting, balance, and choke pull on both carbs.  Is
your cable free and allowing for a full stroke?

This should fix most if not all of your starting problems

Flame suit on and just my  $.02
Rick Ewald
67 MGB roadster
99 Volvo S 80 T-6