Re: Oils

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: Oils
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:57:54 EST
In a message dated 12/31/98 6:52:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, mgbob@juno.com
writes:

<<  Why is the trashing of the OD's clutch attributed to the synthetic oil?

   It seems to me that if the oil maintains sufficient viscosity to
 achieve the operating pressure of the OD (450 psi, I seem to remember)
 that the lower viscosity oil would pump up faster and eliminate some of
 the clutch slip and wear.  The argument for the synthetic is consistent
 viscosity. >>

The OD friction faces work like a wet clutch does - if it is too slippery, as
it can be with synthetic, the surfaces just slip and then quickly burn out.
For the same reason, you must not put moly in an OD unit.

Bill