Quality (was: Re: Lowering)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Quality (was: Re: Lowering)
From: Jay and Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 11:30:28 -0800

Bert Palte wrote:

> No, but I bought at some time a set of V8 bushes that didn't fit properly.
> Same c*** quality.
>
> Bert

Why is it sometimes that replacement parts are so crappy?  I've gotten
parts from Moss, Vicky Brit, Proper MG, and Brit Tek.  At least one part
from Moss and Proper MG were of questionable quality.  The upper
radiator hose from Moss is only two years old and is cracking worse than
the original 25+ year old hose.  Why is this?

I always like to say it's because the parts are made in Taiwan, but now
that I think about it, many times the parts have the British flag
sticker on them to denote they were made in the UK.  I have found that
the rubber bits are the most prone to break.  My window scrapers from
some Brit distributor are already starting to crack and the rubber
bushings used on the valve cover are starting to crack some.

I remember I few years ago someone posted to the list about his
disappointment with the quality of replacement parts for his Midget.  At
the time, I only had owned my MGBs for about 1.5 years, so I discounted
his statements.  Now, I'm beginning to agree with him somewhat.

A few months ago my brother and I were recovering his seats for his '78
MGB with new seat cushions and covers from Vicky Brit.  The covers fit
horribly.  The seams didn't even come close to lining up to the edges of
the foam cushions.  Sure, the covers might be cheap ( I think they were
about $300), but at what cost.  I like to bitch and moan about the price
of parts for my Nazi ass-engined slot-car Porch, but at least when I get
a part, it's damn good quality and fits the first time.  Maybe this
speaks more for the engineering of the car to begin with, but I
digress.  Now, you don't have to tell me that I'm paying inflated prices
to support the lazy a**es of the increasingly cumbersome pension
system.  I think the direction Germany is headed with it's labor
policies is getting out of hand.  When they ask over $200 for one
sunvisor, or $100 for a shifter knob, then you start to get suspicious.
:)

comments welcome, as I hope you guys can shed some light.  Maybe my
expectations are too lofty ???

Jay