Foul Calumnies re: Stereo

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Foul Calumnies re: Stereo
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:31:45 EST
<<Does anyone recall hearing of a foam called, I think "Sorbathane" ? >>
I believe this stuff is used by hi-fi fanatics to isolate turntables, CD
players, etc., from feedback vibration. One might find it advertised in
Audiophile, but anything that is supplied to the audiophile world is, in m=
experience, ridiculously overpriced (seems to be some kind of religious
fervour about paying $300 per foot for gold speaker cables and such). My
recollection is that a set of four Sorbathane feet to put under a turntabl=
costs about $25 - $30. I'm not sure how the stuff would work for seat
cushions. As you have characterized it, it is apparently a totally "dead" =
foam
that doesn't bounce.>>

Enough of this vitriol against the followers of one of my other favourite
hobbies! And my speaker cables didn't cost nearly that much!
Sorbothane is a material that absorbs vibration (and converts it to heat) =
=97
drop a sorbothane puck on the floor and it doesn't bounce, it just lays th=
ere
(the pause was while I went downstairs to the main sound room, aka the stu=
dy,
and dropped some pucks to make sure I wasn't telling a lie - I wasn't =97 =
they
just land and almost stick).

It would be very costly to get large sorbothane cushions made up, and they
will not deal with large displacements e.g. an LBC lurching about =97 they=
 are
at their best dealing with vibrations of a lesser magnitude.

However, if there are any hi-fi mavens out there who have either larger
collections of pucks than I do, or perhaps a smaller fundament to rest upo=
them, by all means do experiment by removing your seats from your LBCs and
replacing them with, one hopes, sufficient sorbothane to protect your glut=
eus
(glutei?  glutea?) from becoming pounded into even more maximus, and drive
over some bumpy roads and report back to us.

Bill S.