Re: Handling (and other things that come loose)

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: Handling (and other things that come loose)
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 12:06:13 +0000
Keith Wheeler said:

> And one last thing that applies to both newbies and experienced folks
> alike:  one MGB suspension problem I've noticed is that the lower inner
> bolts that hold the pivot to the crossmember tend to rattle loose.

Yup.  It took me years to figure out what that clunk was.  People kept saying,
"splines, wire wheels, A-arm bushings," etc., etc.  I finally figured it out
when it actually slipped sideways going around a corner hard.

Other parts that work loose on MGB's and other LBC's are the head nuts.  This
makes the head gasket weep so that there's always water injection in the
cylinders.  This causes the car to be hard to start when cold but show no other
symptoms.  I always check the torque on the head before adjusting the valves.

Denise Thorpe