RE: sump question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: sump question
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:26:15 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Dan Dwelley wrote:

> No! don't paint the inside.
>
> The oil will take the paint off especially once it gets hot. paint would
> classify as a foreign material inside the crank...don't want to plug any
> filters or anything else for that matter.  :o)

It used to be common practice, especially for high-performance engines, to
paint the rough-cast areas inside the block.  The theory was that the
paint smoothed out the surface somewhat and made it easier for oil to run
down into the sump where it is needed the most.  The favorite paint for
this purpose among hot rodders was Rustoleum Damp-Proof Red Primer.  I
painted the inside of many an engine block with the stuff, and never had
it come off.

I'm not sure, but I think the current generation of Rustoleum Red is a
different formulation than the old fish oil-based stuff, so I don't know
if it is still suitable.

Is it worth the effort?  Probably not for the average street-engine
rebuild.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net