RE:magical moving fan stuf

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:magical moving fan stuf
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argohouston.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 11:47:13 CST
Lawrie et al
   Lawrie is correct as usual, the fan itself doesn't move,
but the crankshaft does. (my description of what to look for leaves something
to be desired I see.......).
   What I saw on my car with about 15 thou of end float (WAY over spec.) was
this:
    Stand at the side of the car with the engine running and look down the
lines formed by the fan and fan belt, water pump pully, alternator pully and
crank pully.  Have someone step on the clutch, and if you see movement in the
lines formed by all these parts, you've got way too much end play and the
thrust washers probably needs attention ( probably a bunch of other things to
if you're at this point, mine needed a complete rebuild).
   All of this of probably doesn't have anything to do with the original
problem of have 3/8 " of play in the rotation of the fan before you encounter
resistance from the crankshaft ( my interpretation ), which gets back to
correctly understanding the description of the problem.
   I guess all of this just gives Jay things to look for. (it was Jay with the
original question wasn't it?)

Oh well,
Harlan.