Re: What IS Vacuum advance?

To: "MSLishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What IS Vacuum advance?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:47:35 -0000
There are two types of vacuum advance - what might loosely be called
'British' advance and 'North American' advance.

The Britsh advance is non-existant at idle, maximum under cruising rpm at
low throttle openings, and negligible at high throttle openings.

The NA advance is maximum at idle, otherwise it is much the same as British
advance.

British vacuum is taken off the carb right by a throttle disc, NA vacuum is
taken off the inlet manifold.

Even so, British tuning instructions also state that the vacuum line should
be removed and plugged for setting dynamic timing even though the vacuum at
tuning rpm is negligble.

PaulH.