Re: 5 speed question

To: REwald9535@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed question
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:28:18 EST
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:31:27 EST REwald9535@aol.com writes:
>  I cannot for the life of me think of a production box that has a
direct 5th gear.

See Hewland D(?) 500. Also ZF

>There has to be a reason for this, and I don't think extra friction is
the answer.

The "reason" is CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy).  All Major
manufacturers will do whatever to reduce the fuel consumption on their
cars -not just as a marketing ploy - but to avoid the rath of the Feds.
This is the prime reason for the 6 speed option in the Corvette and
F-body GM cars, wherein 5th and 6th are both overdriven. Sixth gear being
0.50:1.
 Funny thing about the Vette. When first offered and road tested by one
of the car mags, it was discovered the top speed was higher in 5th than
6th. Seems with the steep overdrive, the engine was so far down on the HP
curve, it didn't develop enough power to push the car to it's max speed.
Dropping down one gear moved the engine higher on the curve.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget