Re: replacing pistons

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: replacing pistons
From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:40:03 -0800
At 08:13 AM 1/8/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Matt...
>
>Some of our suppliers do make them available individually. Let me know size,
>brand (often cast inside the piston), number of rings and type of wrist-pin
>fitting and I'll see what I can do. It's remotely possible I might have a
>good, used one, too.
>
>Lawrie

        OK, here goes.  It's got three compression and one oil scraper ring, and
has the free-floating gudgeon pine with the two circlips.

        I've got good measurements of the piston, but I've got to get some
circlip
pliers before I can measure the bore for the gudgeon pin.  From what I can
tell, though, I'm pretty damn sure it's the standard 18GB size, not the
smaller 18G/GA size.

        The piston diameter is 3.151" at the top, 3.150" at the bottom (the
extra
.001" is probably from the crack, but I'm not sure).  It's 3.034" deep
(long?) and has a depression that is .114" deep in the top, but that's a
little sketchy, since there was some carbon that I couldn't scratch off
with my fingernail.  It's not much deaper though.

        I can't find a brand.  I know at least one of my other 3 has MOWOG
stamped
in the top.  There are some numbers inside the skirt, if that helps:
12H1489 on the back side and 529703 then a zero with a backslash through it
and 52 under a backwards D on the front.

        That's about all I can get from a close examination and an outside mic
and
depth guage.  If there's anything else you need, let me know.

        Thanks,

  -Matt