Hard luck gas tank

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Hard luck gas tank
From: Dave McCauley <cozypow@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 18:08:28 -0600
Hey all...

Because of a small hole in my 73' BGT's gas tank, I decided to pull it
out.  Simple job right?  I got all but one bolt removed from inside the
boot floor.  The last one was rusty, and quickly rounded off.  The tank
was still solidly attached all the way around, away from the last
attached bolt.  So underneath I crawled, and found four studs that were
attached to the floor.  Removed all those nuts easily enough.  Then I
decided to attack the last nut inside the boot.  Grabbed my angle
grinder, added a cutoff wheel and off came the bolt head.  Then I pried
off the washer, and noticed this washer didn't have a rubber washer like
the others, but it looked like another washer attached to the boot
floor.  It appears this 'washer' is *threaded* because its the only
thing holding the tank in now.

Of course with no head, there is no way to turn the bolt.  Underneath
its attached to the tank with a square nut that is clipped to the tank.
Darn near impossible to reach with a wrench.  Even if So here's the
question, is this bolt infact threaded into the boot and the tank?  I
really can't tell for sure but the its the only thing holding the tank
after pulling very hard on it.  I havent' applied my high tech solution
(a BFH).  I don't want to beat the thing if its threaded.  So if anyone
knows please let me know....

Wouldn't you know it, the only bolt like this is the one that rounds
off.  Just my luck...!

-dave-
cozypow@worldnet.att.net

Dave McCauley - AYB SE        What's the use in complaining
Baton Rouge, LA                        when you got what you don't need?