Re: Fuel pump shutoff oddity

To: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump shutoff oddity
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:25:41
At 06:01 PM 1/12/99 -0500, Mike Lishego wrote:

>....  I hit the switch and then waited for the car to die.  And I waited.
And waited, even revving the engine up with no effect.  I shut off the car
and tried to start it - the pump was off, and the car wouldn't start.

The engine will run for about 1/2 minute (maybe more) at idle with just the
fuel in the float chambers.  At 60 mph crusing speed the engine uses about
1/10 ounce of fuel per second.  At idle it may use less than 20% of that,
or less than 2/100 ounce per second.  Each float chamber holds a couple of
ounces of fuel.  Try again, but give it a little longer time to die.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude