Wiper solution/Crack question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper solution/Crack question
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:15:23 EST
Back in 1968 with a fairly new BGT I got used to my wipers working only when
it was not raining.  Spent about 18 months that way, being new to the ways of
MG ownership, i.e., massive mechanical involvement.  First I discovered that
polarized sunglasses cut down the glare of on-coming headlights on a rain-
splattered windshield when driving at night.  Then I discovered something
useful.  The nut on the shaft of the wiper driver, the part that the blade
assembly slips on to, that nut slowly backs off, allowing water to drip down
the shaft and into the motor, just enough to stop it dead until it dries.  Try
tightening that nut somewhat, but not so you crush the gasket.

Second, a question on temporary Crack of Doom solutions.  One lister said a
mechanic suggested drilling a hole at the end of the crack.  This is standard
aviation procedure--first used in my history on our old beat-to-s*** Huey
gunships, covered with cracks and stop-drill holes.  Question One:  Has any
one tried it on an MG?  Question Two:  At what point does the C.O.D. become an
operating problem?

Thanks

Jay Donoghue
72B