MGA 62 1600 MK II - Brakes and Things

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA 62 1600 MK II - Brakes and Things
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:07:20 -0400
I have finally pulled the right side front and rear hubs off to check
brakes, seals, and bearings.

Front seal was leaking and grease was almost liquid.  Will check the
bearings tomorrow.

Both rear linings and front pads are almost 'new' thickness.  But because
the car sat for a while, there is lots of rust on the linings/pads.  There
appears to be no oil or grease on the linings/pads.  Would a light surface
sanding to get rid of the rust be in order?  Does brake cleaner act like
grease/oil when it gets on pads/linings?

While there is a scratch in the wall of the rear cylinder in front of the
hand brake lever, the cylinder wall between the lever access hole and the
fluid access hole is OK.  I assume that with new rubbers the cylinder
should be  OK and this scratch should not come into play??

The disk brake pistons are corroded and pitted on walls nearest the pad
ends.   Also in some areas the 'silver' surface has worn off showing a
coppery colour below it.  Are these terminal or can they be smoothed with
a very fine emory cloth?  Since the pistons cost about US$65 each methinks
Apple's price of US$90 for a rebuilt caliper sounds real good.  Does
anyone have any bad experience with the Apple rebuilts?

The rear hub surface is fairly good and i can probably get away with a
light sanding to clean it up.  The interior face of the disk is excellent
but the exterior face has concentric grooves in it and one 1/8" wide
shallow pit (probably from rust - I had a hell of a time rotating the
wheels when I picked it up).  It looks like it was not turned down
previously so I will take to a machine/brake shop to get it turned down.
Does the hub have to be removed from the rotor for turning?

In the Vicky Brit catalogue page 90, there is something called a 'Fluid
Channel Seal' ( Item no 8 in the front disc picture - part no 18-004).
What is this and where does it go?  Should i change it out if I do not get
rebuilt rotors?

Thanks for any and all help (and for listening to me)

Preston