Re: loc-tite

To: gaetke@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: loc-tite
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:22:47 EST
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:00:22 -0800 Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>       My engine reassembly process should start tomorrow when my
>parts get here.
> I was in a store today, mostly just looking around, and bought a tube
>of
>loc-tite for reassembly, since I've seen it mentioned on the list
>several
>times.
>
>       Where exactly do you use this stuff?
 On any threaded fastener which you want to retain it's pre-load
(torque).

> Are there some threads on which you shouldn't use it?

 Any fastener which is subject to frequent removal or loosening of the
deliberate type.

> Some that require it more than others?

No, as the old Brylcreem commercial said, "a little dab'll do you". In
all cases, be guided by the Loc-Tite instruction sheet or the fine print
on the tube/bottle.

 There are several different Loc-Tite products availible, each engineered
to a specific set of usages.
 A partial list, in no particular order

Threadlocker 242 (blue) - General purpose, medium strength - does most
jobs so long as the thread is engaged for a minimum of 1.5 diameters

Threadlocker 271 (red) - High strength for small fasteners (Loctite's
definition of a small fastener is anything under 1"). Especially
effective in aluminum and magnesium castings and is very resistant to
fuels, oils and solvents after it has set

Threadlocker 290 (green) - A penetrating compund which locks already
assembled threaded fasteners

Porosity Sealant 290 (green) - Same stuff. In addition to locking
threads, 290 will wick itself into any porous metal and cures to form a
though elastic and pressure resistant seal.

Retaining compound 601 (green) Serious stuff. Designed to retain
bearings, sleeves, pins bushings or othe cylindrical objects in bores
which have become distorted, oversized or otherwise buggered. Shear
strength is 3000 psi and the temp range is up to 300 degrees.

Loctite Primers - Decrease cure time, clean parts ant improve the
void-filling capability of the various anaerobic compounds.

Hope this helps

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget