Re: Tyres

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tyres
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:05:49 +0000
Scott Pontius wrote:

> Eric,
> I have seen many times that a tire shop will overinflate the tires
> while mounting them to seat the bead on the rim, which is normal, but
> then they will just snatch it off the mounting machine and throw it on
> the car.  Still inflated to 60 or 70 PSI.  Which is not normal.
> Before I leave any shop where I've had tire service, I check two
> things: the tire pressure and the lug nut torque.

OK, thanks to all who have written with suggestions and advice.

I woke up this morning in a far better frame of mind... huge day job
workloads and flat tyres on very hot days (and with bottle jacks that
won't fit under where they should - damn low slung cars) seem to stress
me a little these days.  I feel better now, thank you.

Checked the tyre pressure and found them substantially over pressure
(average 10 pounds and more, and different for each tyre... thanks
fellas).  Dropping the tyre pressure helped the ride considerably.

They still don't FEEL right... but nowhere near as nasty as they did.
Maybe I really am feeling the extra width more than I thought I would -
going from 165 to 175 I expected slightly heavier steering but not the
stiffer ride - sheesh what if I *had* gone 185?.  I am still of the
belief that these tyres ride MUCH rougher/harder than my old ones.
Maybe I will just have to get used to it.

Oh yeah... knock-ons were nowhere near as tight as I would have liked
them so I gave them a couple of extra belts too.

These tyres have NO information on them... very generic-brand looking
but they have a good looking tread pattern (better than the other
cheaper tyre I was looking at at the time).  This will be another lesson
for me... we live and learn!

Total info on tyre (not even pressure/load rating or compound)...

Pos-A-Traction P175/75 R14 86S TOE B

BTW it really is disconcerting to be stuck so firmly to the road...

Thanks again for all the info.  I may be in the market for even more
tyres when I get back from the "long drive" :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII