Re: Oil Pump Caution

To: <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump Caution
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:30:28 -0500
Matt:

My mistake was letting the oil drain from the oil pump while it was off the
engine.  If you simply fill it until oil runs out of the pump and then
reinstall you should get almost instant oil pressure.  Trevor's suggestion
to operate the engine on the starter with the plugs out for a short duration
should provide immediate lubrication also.

>Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:52:51 -0800
>From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: Oil Pump Caution

>At 07:25 PM 1/19/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>  There is also a method to prime the pump from the outside
>>by pumping oil in a certain way... but I forget the method.

>I'm just finishing my rebuild, and I planned to pour oil into the engine
>where the hose attaches that goes to the oil cooler (or I guess right to
>the filter if an oil cooler isn't installed) once it's ready to go with oil
>in the sump.  If I read the oil diagram right in Haynes, that should run
>down to the pump.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know...

>  -Matt G.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada