Re: Points Gap and Timing (summary)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Points Gap and Timing (summary)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:44:10 -0800
In case anyone cares, here is the conclusion to a couple of questions I
posed a while back:

Word on the street is that Skye Poier said:
> 1. I used a dwell meter to set the angle to 60 deg but now the points gap
> seems much smaller than spec, like half of 0.015".  Is this normal or
> indicitive of something?  Worn out points perhaps?  They do look a bit
> tarnished.

Worn points.  I used some 600 grit sandpaper to clean them and the dwell
is now 60 degrees with a points gap close to spec.  I should just replace
them, but I was curious what cleaning them would do.  Some people suggested
ignoring the dwell reading and just setting the gap to spec, but my
reasoning is, the whole purpose of the points gap is to set the dwell
(although it also changes the timing somewhat) so dwell should be set to
correct no matter what the points gap is.

> 2. Once I got the dwell to 60 deg I had to rotate the dizzy clockwise until
> it wouldn't turn clockwise any more and I'm still advanced (timing light
> shows about 5 BTDC and I'm aiming for at least 10).  What gives?  Can
> it be turned more or is there something else?

I could turn it more - it just gets very stiff after a certain point and
I have to get in there with two hands.

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)