Re: Boca Raton British Car Show

To: MG_List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Boca Raton British Car Show
From: John Greenwood <bmartin@southeast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:18:33 -0500
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:54:56 +1000
> From: "Neil Cotty"
> Subject: Re: Boca Raton British Car Show
>
> Hiya,
>
> >Austin Healeys, even some exotica like Mini Coopers, Sunbeams, etc.
>
> No offence intended, but are you being sarcastic? Are Mini Coopers rare in
> the US? If they are, boy do I have a deal for you!  Seriously, there are
> *heaps* Mini Coopers & Cooper S models on the roads in Sydney. Quite a few
> Sunbeams as well - what type? Alpines? Lots of them here, not many Tigers
> but lots of Alpines. A really good one gets around 10 grand or about $6500.
> Most sell for less than that. We also have quite a few Dolomite Sprints
> here, 16 Valve head etc.. whoops.. I almost said Tr*****!!
>
> Maybe Australia can address it's balance of payments by sending some of
> these beaties over to you guys!
>
> Cheers,
> Neil.

On any given day you would be lucky to see any kind of mini in the
largest cities of the US.  These days, MGs and Triumphs are an extremely
rare sight.  I live in a city of a million people, Jacksonville Florida,
and I drive my Cooper S 50 miles round trip to work year 'round. Other
than the occasional newer Jag, LBC's are few and far between. I go each
year to the local British Car Day and see the signs on various cars
describing them as "daily drivers" but I don't believe it!  Since the
laws of importation have been loosened in the last few years, several
people here in Florida have been bringing in a lot of newer minis. The
demand for MGs just isn't quite high enough (yet!)
   ----- John Greenwood