U-joints and hubs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: U-joints and hubs
From: Dave McCauley <cozypow@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:59:29 -0600
Hello All,

I'm working to get my '73 MGB-GT back on the road, and so far all has
gone smoothly.  I've replaced a gas tank, fuel pump, rear brake
cylinders, brake master cylinder, and several others that are too small
to mention... The next two jobs will be the hardest so far, and I'm
soliciting the advice and wisdom of the list....

U-Joints...  Before I stopped driving the car, I replaced the UJs. I
drove the car about 5000k miles, and while removing the rear brake drums
I notice that the rear UJ is completely shot AGAIN!  (the previous set
lasted < 15k miles)  I lubed it with grease per manual etc..  What
gives?  Is there anyway to get these things to last longer?  They are a
pain to change...

Front Wire Wheel Hubs...  Ok, I've got the big grease cap, with the
threaded stud that is supposed to be used to pull the cap out..  BUT,
the DPO installed the cap with what looks  like a 12 lb sledge hammer!
Its complete smashed to ...  The ends of the threads are 'boogered'
beyond all recognition.  The cap has a perfect imprent of a hex head
bolt no doubt used to beat the cap in!  In other words, the proper
method of removal is no longer possible.. Any ideas?  My only thought
was to cut the hub with the angle grinder, since its being removed for
replacement ...but that seems drastic..

Oh, one more thing about grease caps,  I noticed that there is another
type available.. Will these fit?  Are they easier to remove/install? and
what are the (if any) disadvantages?

Well, that's about all for now... I'm hoping to complete atleast one of
these tasks this weekend.  If all goes well, I'll be driving for the
spring, which has already started here in BTR, (78F today!)......

THANKS GUYS...
-dave-
cozypow@worldnet.att.net