RE: BMC Week, Dailey Drivers

To: Harlan Jillson <hjillson@argohouston.com>
Subject: RE: BMC Week, Dailey Drivers
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:03:56 -0400
Harlan:

        Count me in among the daily drivers, and as Kelvin observed, stuff
happens to them.  My current daily driver is the '76 Sandglow B Tourer.
For a couple of months last Fall I drove my '67 daily.  Back in '93,
blinded by highbeams from an oncoming truck, I managed to hit a cow with
it.  ' Took out the bonnet, windshield,  driver's side wing and door.  '
Broke a metacarpal where my left hand got caught between the steering wheel
and the cow.  Know this about rubber bumpers - through all of this, mine
did not move.  It was unharmed.  Insurance totalled it; I bought back the
wreck.  Everything else was a bolt-on repair and I've driven it for almost
six years since.

 My previous daily driver was my teal-blue '73 GT which has been sitting
sans front clip since June of '96 when I failed in my apparent attempt to
drive it under a Chevy pickup.  That was the 5th accident for that car
since I bought it in '87 - although the first that was my fault.  I have
all the pieces to get it back on the road, but I'm crippled in those
efforts by the "while I'm at it" syndrome, and by my endless ongoing '65 B
bodyshell restoration.

Our '73 B Tourer stays in the garage a lot, but every summer we take it out
for a combined vacation-car show trip - usually about 2,000 miles.  I'm
thinking of driving it to BC for NAMGBR this summer (from Virginia).  I
trust the car - the problem is can I get enough time off to do it.  Anybody
want to caravan?

The only times I don't drive my B is when the snow flies and they have salt
on the roads.

Cheers,

Allen Bachelder

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<