Re: MGA Seats

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: Re: MGA Seats
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:52:18
At 03:35 PM 1/31/99 -0400, prsmith@navnet.net wrote:

>I will be installing new seat foams in the bottom seats of my MGA.
>
>While it looks simple, methinks there is more to it than meets the eye.

Pretty simple.  Insert new cushions and staple the covers back on.

>Are the bottom seat cushions 'handed'?  If so, how do i tell left from right?

Yes.  They should match the shape of the plywood base piece.

>Are there any 'dos' and 'don'ts' to installing the new seat foams?  Since
I have not ordered them yet, is there any supplier I should stay away from
or buy from?

Yes, yes, and yes.  A couple years ago I bought a left side seat cushion
from Moss.  It was molded all in one piece, fit perfectly on the first try,
no fuss at all.  Then when I decided to do the other side Moss was out of
stock on the part, so I bought one from Victoria British.  Oops.

V.B. lists only one part number for both sides, so I was a little
suspicious from the outset.  This part was made from two pieces glued
together.  The bottom piece was a rectangular solid, the top piece was
hot-wire cut to approximately the correct contour on top, but had extra
material on the sides, with the apparent intention that it could be trimmed
to fit either the left or right side application.  It was probably cheaper
to make that way, and probably good for the V.B. profit margin, but really
dumb when it comes to installation.  At the time I was on a tight schedule
and paid an apholstery shop to do the work.  They charged $30 to do the
first one, and $45 to do the second one requiring the special fitting work.
 Grrrr.  I likely would have had the same reaction if I was doing it myself.

So don't buy them from V.B.  Anyway you can get the better parts cheaper
from Moss if you buy them through George Merryweather at 15% discount and
free shipping.  Just send inquiry to <george_cr@bigfoot.com>, and don't be
surprised if the response comes back from a different e-mail address.

Regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude