Re: Just Another Day

To: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Just Another Day
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 23:45:24
At 08:45 PM 2/6/99 -0600, Richard D Arnold wrote:
>.... Now I can
>concentrate on the important stuff like the garage:  insulating, ....
>
>Garage is 30' wide by 24' deep, ....
>
>I plan on insulating all the walls and ceiling, and wonder at how big a
furnace I should plan on.  There was a used one in today's paper (allegedly
3 months old, hangs overhead, 50,000 BTU) for $495.00.

>Reasonable?  Too big?  Too small?

Reasonable.  If you kept it heated all the time you could do it with a
little smaller unit.  But, if you turn the heat down when you're not there
and want quick heat when you come back, 50K is about right.

I used to have a 24' x 30' one room garage, insulated, with a shallow open
attic space.  That was heated quite nicely with a 50K space heater, good
for -20dF weather.

Now I have a 22' square garage with additional 16' x 22' workshop.
Normally I just heat the shop, but occasionally I open the walk through
door and a window in between and set up a box fan for circulation to heat
the rest of the garage.  Current heating unit is a 40000 BTU gas wall
furnace with indepentent outside air supply and exhaust and a sealed fire
box.  It can get pretty cold in Chicago, and I haven't run short of heat
yet.  I have it set fot 70dF recently for doing some painting on an engine
and accessories.

Word of caution here.  If this overhead furnace does not have an outside
air intake and sealed firebox, best to turn it off and blow out the pilot
light before painting or using lots of solvents in the garage.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and warm quarters)