in RE: Jingle bells in (cylinder) head

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: in RE: Jingle bells in (cylinder) head
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 03:42:24 EST
Hi everyone.
I just read the post about trying to remove the rod from inside the water
jacket of the cylinder head.
Just my 2 cents here. I have found those rods in all sorts of cylinder heads.
Ive seen them in Ford, AMC, the 1500 tri**ph from my Midget, etc. My teacher
back in tech school believed they are there to break up any rust or scale that
might form in the head to insure that the coolant always flows around the
valveseats and ports. They also might be sacraficial anodes.They also might
have held casting material in the water passages when they made the heads.
Either way, since they seem to be something that cannot be easily removed I
would bet they are supposed to be in there. I couldnt imagine they would make
too much noise surrounded with coolant either. How fast could they vibrate in
liquid??
Just my thoughts on the subject.
Gary
75 Midgets (and other iron)