Re: MGB '77 fuel pump probs.

To: "Edwin Vaughan" <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>,
Subject: Re: MGB '77 fuel pump probs.
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:10:48 -0000
Is the pump giving a single clonk when the ignition is turned on (two people
or long arms required)?

If so the supply is OK but the contacts are stuck - often a temp fix is to
give the pump a clout.  A more permanent fix is to reface the points - which
used to be a service item on forward mounted pumps without any contact
protection.

If not, is that voltage between the terminal on the pump and the body of the
pump i.e. is the ground OK?

If so and you have the time before you need the car then it is worth
removing the pump and checking the points and the solenoid winding before
going for immediate replacement.  'Course if you do, then you have a running
car *and* the time to fix the old pump as a spare.

PaulH.