Re: Headliner replacement ?s

To: hoops@owt.com
Subject: Re: Headliner replacement ?s
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:35:18 EST
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999 04:16:38 -0800 "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com> writes:
>Can someone point me to instructions for replacement of the headliner
>in
>a BGT?  Is it difficult?
>Thanks.
>Lonn Howard
>'70 TR6  -mine
>'71 TR6  -in my garage
>'70 MGB GT  -ours
>'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers
>
>"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."

Not especially difficult - but tedious - you have to remove the rear
hatch and the cowl that has the interior light - the headliner then
slides out through the back - they do have a tendency o stick - and
refitting the hatch can be a bit tricky (min 2 people and a lot of
swearing!) also a new headliner tends to make the surrounding vinyl look
like crap!
An alternative is to paint it - including the surrounding vinyl, either
with a vinyl coating if you dont mind a poor colour match or with a high
quality interior paint such as you get in craft stores and the like with
which you can get a good match - ive done all three methods and my
preference is for the "crafty type" paint - be very sparing as you brush
it on so as to preserve the grain - the effect is great!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley