Mazda MX-5

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mazda MX-5
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 02:45:23 -0500
See what decent marketing & good quality control can do!  Too bad the MX-5,
a.k.a. Miata isn't more like the MGB.

My daughter owns one of the "Limited Edition" models of (I think) 1995.
Nice car.  But, I'll take my MGB any day.

My wife & I can go out in the B and come home with a month's worth of
groceries and have room to spare.  Impossible to do in the Miata, unless
you're alone so you can use the passenger foot well & passenger seat.

I can fit two golf bags in the trunk of the B.  But, only some clubs in the
Miata's trunk.

Before the roll bar with shoulder harness bar, I could fit a carry-on
suitcase plus briefcase on the rear shelf of the B.  The Miata has room for
two umbrellas back there.

Driving on the highway with the top down in the B is noisy.  But, wind
control with the vent windows is good.  The Miata lack of operating vent
windows allows the air flow to cause the shoulder belt to occilate in the
wind stream and slap you on the shoulder - not fun.

I can easily & quickly change oil & filter on the B.  Once was enough on the
Miata.  Never again.  Access to the demi tasse cup-size filter is near
impossible.  By FAR the worst I have ever seen in my 40 years of working on
cars.

Sure, the heater is better, and it has a/c.  But, no thanks.  I'll stick to
my rattly old MGB and leave the MX-5's to less adventurous folks who are
just this side of "cars-are-appliances."  Can't wait till my daughter wins
some big case & can get that Boxter she really wants.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB, et al