Re: MGB rear brake cylinders

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB rear brake cylinders
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:22:52 +0000
Edwin,

Sometimes wheel cylinders can be rebuilt but usually not.  I generally have a
good relationship with my parts supplier, i.e. I give them lots of my disposable
income, so I buy two sets of rebuild kits and wheel cylinders and take back what
I don't use.

For future reference, bleeding the brakes for a few pumps every few years
prevents the wheel cylinders from rusting so they're more likely to be
rebuildable when the rubber wears out.

Here's my trick to installing those pesky wheel cylinder clips.  The clip has
three tabs that need to go into a groove on the wheel cylinder.  Loosely hook
the two end tabs on the cylinder, not in the groove, and then pry the middle tab
over the cylinder with a small screwdriver.  At this point, all of the tabs are
around the cylinder but none of them are in the groove.  The tabs can then be
pushed into the groove with the screwdriver.

I do this with the brake line already hooked up because it's easier to start the
threads when the wheel cylinder can float freely.

To install the shoes, hook up all of the springs on the bottom of the shoes and
slide the assembly over the handbrake lever.  Install the handbrake spring.
Then rest the heel of one shoe on the end of the wheel cylinder.  This keeps the
assembly from flying apart when pressure is exerted.  Pull or pry the heel of
the other shoe into the slot of the wheel cylinder piston.  Then pull the heel
of the first shoe into the slot of its wheel cylinder piston.  Now install the
top spring and hook the top ends of the shoes into the brake adjuster.  Don't
forget the retaining springs!  I always notice the retaining springs lying on
the ground after I have the brake drum back on.  :-}

That's everything I know.  Hope this helps.

Denise Thorpe