Re: hard, non-starting '76B

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hard, non-starting '76B
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:32:17 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
To: mgs@autox.team.net <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: 12 February 1999 02:45
Subject: hard, non-starting '76B

>Hi all,
> I'm looking for tips to help me start my '76B. The engine ran fine
>from July to the end of November when the water pump went. I replaced the
>water pump, returned the alternator, the air pump and the radiator to their
>normal position (eventually), and after filling the radiator, I tried to
>start it. Pre-ignition noises were normal. The battery was checked (and I
did
>this with a jump to my other vehicle as well) and was fine.
>
>The alternator light went on with the turn of the key

The ignition warning light should glow when the ignition is turned on,
remain on during cranking (but probably a little dimmer) and only go off
when the engine catches and revs over about 1000/1200 rpm.

> and the motor clunked

Do you mean there was an audible 'clunk' but the engine didn't turn, or do
mean 'cranked'?  If the former it sounds like insufficient voltage is
getting to the starter possibly due to a weak battery or poor connections in
the battery, starter and/or engine ground strap cables, or possibly the
solenoid or starter is faulty.

>The fan did not turn.

Do you mean the engine cooling fan?  This should normally only come on when
the coolant reaches a particular temperature unless a PO has jumpered the
switch or relay, in which case it would come on with the ignition.  This
could be enough additional load on less than perfect wiring and connections
to prevent cranking or starting.

> The engine did not catch.

Once the engine is cranking to need to check for a spark and fuel.  First,
did the fuel pump chatter for a second or two when first turning on the
ignition?  It should, unless you have some aftermarket system or other.
Hook up a timing light and watch for flashes when cranking.  If it does you
have HT so check timing, mixture etc.  If it doesn't check the LT circuit,
but it could also be the coil.

PaulH.