Axles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Axles
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:21:34 EST
<<Am in middle of replacing wire wheel hubs on a 1960 MGA.  Started on the
rear.  The axle half shaft came out when I removed the old hub extension
and I'm having mucho difficulty separating the two.  Is this the norm?
Is the hub extension pressed on to the axle shaft?  Or am I dealing with
39 year old rust?>>

The last one we did took 6 tons to move. That's not too bad though - the last
TVR I did (taper seat TR style hubs/axles) took 14 tons to break free, and
flew and bounced a fair way across the shop.

Leave them together for a few decades, and they are harder to pry apart than a
Scot and his bank book (supply your own defamatory simile here).

Bill S.