Banjo axle, wire wheel hub removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Banjo axle, wire wheel hub removal
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:53:15 -0500
Well, this has become rather amusing. I knew the wire wheel hubs on my
1960 MGA were bad so procured four new hubs, along with new wire wheels.
Got the tires mounted the other day and set out to replace things.

Started on the rear.  Pulled the left hub, along with the axle half
shaft.  Was unaware that the two pieces are pressed together and spent
an inordinate amount of time trying to separate them with hammer blows.
Came to my senses when I realized nothing was budging and queried the
list - thank you, Barney!

Took half shaft/hub and new hub to machinist.  He has called twice so
far.  First time to report that 10 tons of pressure hadn't budged
anything.  Said he'd try some serious heat.  Second call was to report
no success after heat and 12 tons of pressure.  (And I was banging on
the assembly with an MG knockoff hammer?)

He's going to make a few calls to find a shop with a serious hydraulic
press cause he's afraid to go any higher.  (His shop is small and the
axle half shaft probably would carom around the place three times if it
ever came out...)

Bill Spohn - didn't you say your hubs came off with about 6 tons of
pressure?

I suppose the alternative is to throw more money at it and buy new half
shafts, but this is getting ridiculous!

Bill