Re: Now a stupid alternator question

Subject: Re: Now a stupid alternator question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:28:50 -0000
The short answer is "yes", it should be putting out about 14v.

It needs the ignition warning light to be operative to start charging at the
correct rpm (both my alternators will charge with the light disconnected but
only start at around 2k/3k rpm) If the light is coming on it should be OK,
but check (with the engine stopped but the ign on) that it doesn't if the
plug is pulled from the alt.  If it still glows then it is grounding
elsewhere i.e. not through the alt field winding where it should.  With the
alt plugged in and the engine running at about 1500 rpm measure right on the
output tag of the alternator and if it is still just battery voltage get the
alternator replaced.

PaulH.