MGB Loading up at idle

To: "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Loading up at idle
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:50:41 -0500
Hello all,
     Recently, my MGB has had the bad habit of 'loading up' and
idling roughly when idling for a long time.  At first, I thought it
was due to the cold (it happened one morning while scraping the
windows), but it happened today when I was in line to get a burger.
It almost sounds like the car had burned a valve, but once you rev
up the engine and take off, the miss goes away.
    I should mention that I've been doing all of my driving around
town, in the 2-4 mile range per day category.  I get to take the
choke off right as I drift into my parking spot at the school, and
as I enter the college's driveway.
    I don't think my carbs are running that rich, as even a quarter
turn lean seriously affects performance and causes backfiring.  My
plugs are about two years old, though they only have a realistic
10,000 miles on them (but some of those miles were tuning and set-up
miles.)  I have electronic ignition, dual SU HIF's, a Lucas sport
coil, and the wires were replaced the same time as the plugs.
    What does anyone think?  My guess is the plugs, but I have to
wait for the weekend to check them.

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/