Re: Worn out '70 MGB rear-end?

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Worn out '70 MGB rear-end?
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:17:46 -0500

"Dodd, Kelvin" wrote:

> Jurgen:
>
>         What you are describing sounds more like a driveshaft than a rear
> end.  Worn out diffs' tend to howl, not shake.  Carefully check the u-joints
> NOW.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200.  Visual inspection may not be
> enough, get under there and waggle the shaft around.  Even if the u-joints
> have just been installed, they may be bad.

Guys, you hit it right on the head.  I had talked to a driveshaft shop
when the problem arose.  He told me it was the ring and pinion, since I
told him about the slop/clunk from reverse to first.  Based on his
opinion, I discounted my first theory, which was U-joints.  Since I'm at
school, I don't have the tools to get under the car properly.  I ended
up having my differential fluid replace, to no avail.

Well, now I've come full circle, and now I add this to my list of
experiences.  IF there is no other good coming from my car breaking down
so much, it's that I'm learning a heck of a lot.  What can I expect from
a 29 year old car with some original bits.  Since I acquired the car,
I've put about 30k+ miles on it, so it's not getting babied. Now, all
the problems are coming to light.

Wiggled shaft after getting it up.  It's got enough slop in there for a
few 2x4s.  Yes, that bad. I was driving the car, thinking it was the
rear end.  Stupid me.  Glad it didn't shear on me earlier.  Now I can
run the autocross this weekend after repairs.

Thanks much.
Jay

BTW. Since all my tools are 400 miles away, I think it would be cheaper
for me to pay for the work, rather than buy all the requisite tools.  I
called a local shop.  Told them I had an MGB and wanted to have the
U-joints replaced.  He said,"What's an MGB?"  Told him what it was.
Said,"No, we don't work on those."  Told him it was a pathetically easy
repair.  "No, don't work on them."  I'll never go to them for anything.
I'll push my car before I walk in their establishment.  It's asses like
him that really get to me.