Re: Carburettor dilemma-solved!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carburettor dilemma-solved!
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:08:34 +0000
Wow!  Thanks for the replies and offers, everyone.  I knew I was asking the
right people. :-)  Too bad I whined too soon.

I flogged my poor vacuum deprived B to the machine tool store to get the reamer
and I was whining to the woman at the counter about my problem when she said,
"Should I see if my husband can do it?"  You bet!  About 20 minutes later, I had
reamed carb bodies for $10.  Yahoo!  Now I can put the carbs back together
tonight and have the car running like new tomorrow, theoretically.

Charley Robinson suggested that I replace the throttle shafts with stock ones
and leave the bushings alone.  I've done that before, too, but these were too
far gone.  The carbs that are on the car have 150K miles on them since I put
oversized (+0.005") throttle shafts in 16 years ago and the shafts now have
about 2mm of play.  I don't think the 0.005" over throttle shafts are available
anymore.  I should be able to ream these carbs to use 0.010" over shafts.

The spare carbs I just had reamed had stock throttle shafts in them, but they
had even more play than the other ones.  I don't think the bushings were
useable.

My plan is to rebush these carbs once the oversized shafts wear out.  Now that
the bushings are available, it should be possible to alternate reaming and
oversized shafts with rebushing and stock shafts forever and ever, alleluia,
alleluia.

Once I'm done with my carbs, I can go back to worrying about my heater core.
Damn!  I was in the flatlands and forgot to get PBBlaster!  Well, I'll just have
to test-drive my "new" carbies on that winding mountain road. :-)

Denise Thorpe