Re: need a driveshaft for a non-OD 70 BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: need a driveshaft for a non-OD 70 BGT
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:28:06 -0700

<excerpt>Drats, my driveshaft is toast.  I took it in to be balanced and
they

tell me the splines are too loose for balancing to do any good.  There

is only one (yes, one) MG in the local parts yards and the driveshaft
is

already gone.  Anyone have a good used shaft they want to part with

cheap?  It'll cost me $35 to balance a used one and $185 for a new one.

</excerpt><<<<<<<<

I have a driveshaft leftover from when I replaced my transmission with an
OD unit (and shorter driveshaft). I'm fairly sure its the original one
from my very high mileage 71 BGT.

I'll have to dig it out of my garage. The other downside besides the
probable high mileage is that I installed my OD transmission in 1984 or
1985. So this part has been lying around since then, but in mostly dry
climates (Utah and Montana). But        I think the u-joint is in good shape - I
replaced that in 1984 or so. The u-joint itself  probably only has a yaer
or so of high mileage use (30-40K miles - back then, my car was a daily
driver and the commute was 52 miles one way).

So if you can't find another one, or someone else is interested, I'll
take a closer look at its condition. But I think it is still in good
condition.

David

71 BGT