MGB Oiling system

Subject: MGB Oiling system
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:35:01 -0600
I am still suffering from a sticking (closed) oil pressure relief
valve.  I ripped apart an oil filter today that had been in my B for 50
miles.  The valve stuck sortof twice in the time that I drove those 50
miles.

Both times the valve stuck, it was due to the metal balls jamming
between the valve and its bore.

I changed the oil again today (after 50 miles) fearing there are some
balls in there.  However, I found none in the filter.  I cut it open
down to the element and tore out pieces of the element, and found no
metal particles on either side.

So, my question is:  How could they be causing the valve to stick and
not be getting stopped in the filter.  They clearly would not fit
through the filter.  I don't know anything about the oiling system of a
B (76) to know when the oil is at what part of the engine.

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks!

--
Tyson Sherman
76 MGB that is trying really hard to work, despite a messed up auto