Re: Interstate Vehicle Transport

To: glen@espressocom.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interstate Vehicle Transport
From: Lec089@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 05:45:15 EST
In a message dated 2/24/99 11:18:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
glen@espressocom.com writes:

<< Along those same lines, has anyone out there actually towed a vehicle
 cross country?  I'm going to attempt it this summer and would like to
 know anything that might be helpful such as a decent trailer rental
 outfit, legal stuff, etc.? Anything besides the driveshaft question :)

I live in Ohio and recently bought an MGA near Georgia and a 71MGB
in Mississippi and towed both back using my Chevy Blazer.  The 71 B
I pulled back on a Uhaul car dolly and it did just fine.  Would have done
the same with the MGA but it came with two engines and gearboxes and
a lot of parts from a second MGA parts car.  That one I rented a 20' flat
bed trailer.  Paid $150.00 for a weeks rental.  My only other expense
was tie downs.  Four 2x4's and a cordless 18 volt drill.  I used the two by
fours as back up for my wheel chocks and secured them to the flat bed
with some power screws.  They were a bugger to remove and ended up
having to break off half of them, but they stayed secured!
If the healy is all together, Uhaul rent a nice auto transport with front
wheel locks that is pretty easy to tow.  Let me know what you are paying
to have that car towed if you don't do it yourself.

Good luck,
Harry

71 MGB
72 MGB