Slick 50 aint so slick

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Slick 50 aint so slick
From: "Dennis Berman" <dberman@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:57:32 -0600
I tell ya! You just can't win in this world.
Even quality name products are a big damn rip off!
Cost me more than 50 bucks before I discovered I was being ripped off!

------------

Found this at: http://www.miata.net/garage/slickftc2.html

QUAKER STATE SUBSIDIARIES SETTLE FTC CHARGES AGAINST SLICK 50
Agreement Safeguards $10 Million in Redress to Consumers

Three subsidiaries of Quaker State Corp. have agreed to settle Federal
Trade
Commission charges that ads for Quaker State's Slick 50 Engine Treatment
were false
and unsubstantiated. Under the terms of the settlement, the companies
will be barred
from making certain claims and required to have substantiation for
claims about the
performance, benefits, efficacy or attributes of their engine lubricant
products. In
addition, the settlement will preserve the Commission's option to seek
consumer
redress if class action suits currently being litigated against Quaker
State and its
subsidiaries result in less than $10 million in consumer redress.

.... information cut to save bandwidth.

Copies of the complaint, consent agreement, an analysis to aid public
comment and
an FTC brochure, "Penny Wise or Pump Fuelish" are available on the
Internet at the
FTC's World Wide Web site at: http://www.ftc.gov and also from the FTC's
Public
Reference Branch, Room 130, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.,
Washington,
D.C. 20580; 202-326-2222; TTY for the hearing impaired 202-326-2502. To
find out
the latest news as it is announced, call the FTC NewsPhone recording at
202-326-2710.

--
Regards,

Dennis Berman