Aluminum Head Problems - Heads Up

Subject: Aluminum Head Problems - Heads Up
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:17:24 -0800
Back in August I purchased a complete Aluminum Head (valves, springs, etc.)
for the 73B.  At that time, I was having oil leakage and compression
problems.  Put the head on, and the compression evened out but oil
consumption stayed about the same.  Over the next 4 months oil consumption
increased to a quart every tank full.  So, into the shop it went for an
engine rebuild.

Just got a call from the shop that the valve O-Rings were the wrong size (to
large) and the valves weren't properly seated in the head.  Possibility that
the valves where incorrect and to loose as well.

I called Steve at Northwest (where I bought it).  Said that he had no other
complaints -- but has only sold 4 complete heads.  I gave him the number of
the shop doing the rebuild. He said he was going to call them and then talk
to the manufacturer.

If you buy an Aluminum head from Northwest, you might want to check the
O-rings and valves before installing it.

Nick
73B