Re: tube shocks

To: "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Ray Wygonik" <rwygonik@grove.iup.edu>
Subject: Re: tube shocks
From: "Paul Tegler " <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:42:38 -0500
I've had no trouble with cranking the bolts down tight.
I wil admit, I believe the stiffness of mount to which you refer
is the reason my rear end feels so much stiff in the corners.
The body really doesn't want to sway. It's as if the combo of
the two shocks are acting like I added a rear roll bar.
Personally I like it!
Just the other night I had the rear end break lose on me
as I was pushing it pretty hard (and abruptly) into a hard turn
on wet pavement entering an on ramp to a local highway.
I was quite surprised at how easy it was and how predictable
it was to recover. The moment it broke lose... surprised me...
but was very easy to control.
As to the torque of the bolts....  grade 8 bolts should not bend
on you any more readily than the main shock rod itself would.
The idea of the fender washers is just to have a little bit of a
shoulder (larger head and backup to spread the load)
up past the spacer that passes through the rubber
in the end of the shock.
...call it a confidence factor. If the spacer were to pop out of the rubber
the washers would still be holding the rubber in place within
the end of the shock, and the head of the bolt has a larger area
upon which to spread the flex loads.
Paul Tegler
Twin 73' MGB GTs YB and OB
YB born 8/72 (Primrose Yellow) Yellow BGT
OB born 1/73 (Blaze Red) Orange BGT
email: wizardz@amdyne.net
http://www.amdyne.net/~ptegler/mgmain.htm